Friday, September 11, 2015

You Can Teach an Old Dog New Tricks

 At the age of 83, I started learning to knit at the Mt. Juliet Senior Activity Center. My teacher, a group of remarkable senior women who meet at the center and knit and crochet for various charity organizations. They share their knowledge, skills, friendships, and a lot of conversation. I never learned the stitchery as a child. I grew up in a family of 8 children whose mother's day was filled with cooking, laundry, house cleaning, and mending. So to be a part of this group I made a bold statement:" I want to learn to knit".
Right after I made the statement I came a crossed an old saying:" Let your self-be a beginner" which I did. The thought took a lot of stress away when mistakes were made and so much quicker in learning to correct mistakes. It also allowed me to see daily improvements.

The first two scarves I knitted were for Charity. The third one, the black, grey and creamed one pictured in the upper left-hand corner, I made for myself. The fourth project I made my first hat and a scarf to match. It is the picture in the upper right-hand corner. This set also went to Charity,

Each day I am becoming more comfortable with knitting and my stitches are even. When All the quotas have been met by various Charity Organizations, I will be working with the group to fill the the Local Cancer Society need for soft cancer hats.
It is so rewarding to be able to learn new things, help fill a need, and experience a heart warming feeling of being needed.

                                                  


No comments: