Sunday, September 23, 2012

Boo The Black Cat

The very black cat named Boo that you see in the photo was a subject of a conversation I had with a lady at a bingo party. I had just met her as she sat down beside me. We exchanged our greetings, introduced ourselves, and began to discuss hobbies we liked to do since our retirement. I explained to her I loved art. It was then I described my studies of colored pencils.

She immediately told me about her best friend losing her pet cat. The friend was so lonely and lost without her Boo! She took a picture of Boo from her purse. She told me she had taken the picture of the cat sitting in the front window of her friend's retirement apartment. Do you think you could do a portrait of the cat so I can cheer her up a little?

The question stunned me. I had never done a portrait of people or animals and, of course being considered a beginner in the medium.The thought of this woman wanting to help her grieving friend made me say : "okay, I will take the picture and try" So that I did! I tried and I tried, in colored pencils to do a black cat that showed a little hint of color. It took about twenty layers of color built up to come up with the portrait.To me it was a lesson in art and sharing it with another. I matted the picture so all the friend had to do was place it in a fame of her choice. I also made prints of the picture on note cards for her.

I gave the lady at bingo the picture and the note cards. She was so excited and wanted to pay me. I said no fee. I had so much fun working on Boo that I couldn't charge for helping her to bighten her friends day. She asked for my address and I gave it to her. Two weeks later, I received a thank you note telling me how much the portrait meant to her. Her Boo is with her through the picture.

Even though I never met the woman, I feel that I know her and will always be grateful for the opportunity to "share my joy of painting" with someone. With Halloween coming soon I will place my copy of Boo on my coffee table,

No comments: