Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Marking 80th Birthday With 5K Walk

Rainy Start



Marking 80th Birthday With 5K Walk
Woke up before the alarm clock went off! The day had arrived to put all that walk training  to test. Rain was predicted for the day so I peeked out through the blinds. Maybe it won't rain where the 5K takes place.My daughter called and we decided to go and at least make a donation to the charity if the event was cancelled.
When we arrived at the destination the rain had stopped. Yes. I get to walk! By then the adrenaline was about to top out.The officials let me walk early so that I would arrive back in time for the ceremonies.! So off we went and my pace seemed to be faster then I usually walk.We past the one mile mark and I kept on trucking. My daughter persuaded me to sit down at the one and one half mile marker.So I sat down on my Cadillac walker and drank some water. How wonderful it was-no aches-no pains. Up again and moving on. Again, I was cautioned not to push it. So about a quarter of a mile out I sat down again, but not for long because I couldn't stand the anticipation of crossing the finish line. As I rounded the corner the 5K folks were turned loose. As they went by they applauded me and shouted: " good job". The official must have told them I was out there and why!
Then came that awesome moment of crossing the finish line!  The greatest feeling of all. The officials of the 5K, timers and assistants applauded as we stepped across the finish line  I sat and watch the runners as they came over the finish line an applauded them. Then came the most exciting thing-yes-a medal! How cool is that. What's next ! Beat my time!


No comments: