Thursday, September 9, 2010

Support For Our "Girls of Summer

Support The Girls of Summer
When I was a little girl I played sand-lot baseball with my brothers and sister.I played with my siblings against kids in the neighborhood. Organized sports were not available for girls. Even through high school there were no women's competitive sports among the high schools. Intramurals were offered in gym classes. Throughout my high school years I worked from 5:00p.m. to 10:p.m. at a local newspaper office operating their switchboard. After my high school graduation I went to work for Southern Bell Telephone Company and worked my way up the ladder. I join the Business and Women's club/USA as a way to grow professionally. It was not long before I started working on the BPW National Foundation helping to raise money
 for Career Advancements Scolarships. The money provided an education for women with financial needs. It build their self-esteem, self suffuciency, and an education. It helped make a better place in the workforce for them.
I really didn't pay attention to women in sports until my own daughter wanted to play softball. Some fathers had organized a girls youth softball league. The girls were still second rate to Little League Baseball. They had to play on a little league ball field on Sundays when no baseball games were scheduled. Some girls came to practice with brothers old worn out glove. Others had to miss games or practice because brother had a game. It was then I realized that someone had to work , to promote, and grow this sport for girls.From team manager to League President to major fundraising was my goal for the next few years. My husband and I sported girls sports throughout our daughter's high school and college years. When she became a college coach it was the same issues again. Women's sports were second rate.
Now that the Olympics Organization has dropped softball we visit the same issues. These fine women athletes including the Olympians need support for The National Pro Fastpitch League. Women softball players deserve a chance to pursue their dreams. They deserve the same chance to pursue a career in a Professional Softball League as the baseball players do in Major League Baseball. It needs everyone's support to see these talented "Girls of Summer".

No comments: